What do you think when you imagine the stretch between late November and January 1? I hear so many people say things like: I can't deprive myself, or: I'll get myself back on track after the holidays.... What if you could stay on track? (I think maintaining during this time is not only acceptable, but something to be proud of).
I used to gain 5 to 8 pounds throughout the holiday season every year and then I would spend months after the holiday trying to lose the weight. Here is the funny thing: I was actually depriving myself all along! I was depriving myself the pleasure of feeling good for two months after the holiday, when all I needed to do was to plan better and choose wisely.
By adding some of these habits into my routine I've been able to maintain my level of fitness throughout the holidays, which means I'm free to enjoy time with family and friends.
1. In my purse I always have snacks available. Being prepared during this time (and c'mon anytime!) is huge! Some of my favorites are: rock almonds, a prewashed Apple ( in a Ziploc bag with a napkin) Beef jerky, a lemon flavored isogenix bar. All of the snacks are premeasured. Contrary to what some people might think, eating three handfuls of raw almonds is not always the best thing to do:)
2. Every morning I put a large sized Fiji water on the kitchen counter, and I finish it by the end of the day. You'd be surprised how easy this habit is after one week. When you are fully hydrated it's very difficult to overeat, it's possible but not likely.
3. I take a fiber supplement for lunch and dinner. I realize this doesn't sound like a sexy habit, but guess what? You will look sexier for doing it;) The trick is, you literally won't be able to eat as much. Trust.
4. I pack my lunch. Are you seeing a pattern? It's all about being prepared.... if you're starving and see a delicious plate of cookies it's hard to stop. If you've already eaten you will make much wiser choices with your food.
5. I carry a toothbrush in my purse. My favorite is the Violight battery powered toothbrush. It comes with a cover so it's easy to slip into your purse or gym bag and if you use it after every meal you'll be less likely to overeat, and your teeth will stay fresh and sparkly;)
6. Schedule your workouts into this busy time as you would any other appointment. I work out three times a week and these workouts are just as important as anything else I have to do in my life. Wouldn't miss a day of work and I wouldn't miss a workout. Carve time out for yourself so that you have enough energy to give back to others.
Stay healthy and happy, and enjoy the time with family and friends. Life is meant to be lived;)